November 12, 2012
When we received a personal note requesting a tour of our showroom from Gosia Fedele, President Elect for the ASID Florida South Chapter, there wasn’t a moment’s hesitation: both Beverly and Keith Levine graciously invited Ms. Fedele along with her group of professional interior designers and interior design students. This makes it two years running that Schrapper’s received and mentored a select group of design students during the ASID RealWorld DesignWeek (RWDW) event.
This is Nothing Like Groundhog Day!
Unlike Groundhog Day, when seeing a shadow means retreating for six long weeks and prolonging winter weather, Shadow Day for the interior design student means blooming earlier! Shadow Day is a part of this national program that leads students into the real world – seeing first-hand the inner workings of many design related businesses of the industry.
This year marks the fifth annual RWDW since its inception in 2008. The program has been successful due to the benevolent nature of design companies opening up their doors to earnest students; hungry for their practice time after many hours of theory in the classroom.
This year, during the week of November 4th – 10th, the tradition continues with numerous pairings of ASID student members and professional interior designers as they visit various creative vendors, suppliers and showrooms in the industry around the country.
Welcome to Schrapper’s Fine Cabinetry, Incorporated
On Monday, November 5th, Keith and Beverly Levine welcomed a small group of three designers and their trio of shadows. This enthusiastic group included:
- Nancy DeSantis, ASID (Florida South Chapter Past President)
- Gosia Fedele, ASID (Florida South Chapter President Elect & Organizer
- Shelley Siegel, FASID (Florida South Chapter Community Ambassador
- Lindsey Ortiz, Future Interior Designer from Indian River State College
- Lucy Silverman, Future Interior Designer from Palm Beach State College
- Jane Werthmann, Future Interior Designer from Palm Beach State College
Keith Levine not only opened up the doors of Schrapper’s during RWDW, but also took the time to put together a short series of lectures highlighting:
- Commercial and residential design trends
- Managing timelines of individual designers
- The latest in materials and finish selections
- Guiding clients through quotations and costs
The informative visit was warm and enjoyed by the students, mentors and most especially Keith and Beverly Levine and the professional staff at Schrapper’s. Ask Keith or Beverly how they felt about being a part of the RWDW experience and they would answer without hesitation that they are looking forward to participating again next year!