November 22, 2013
Kitchen islands have been around for a very long time and are often the focal point of the kitchen along with the dining table. Not surprisingly, designers are now introducing oversized and double islands. The islands are used to support many functions such as:
- Extra Prep Station – Outfitted with a sink, islands allow for many more chefs and sous chefs in the kitchen at the same time.
- Small Appliance Storage – When electrical outlets are installed, islands become the dedicated domain for all of your small appliances, including your laptop or small television set – basically your tech center.
- Extra Seating and Dining Space – Some islands are tiered, built at standard and bar height allowing for as many as eight more seats when entertaining. It’s a casual way of getting a small sized group all together in the kitchen without having to set up in the formal dining room.
There is nothing typical in island design anymore. Form, function, color, materials and height are so varied that islands are taking on a life of their own in today’s kitchens. Some of the delightful designs include:
- Form – The standard shape was a slender rectangle – now expect to find octagonal, square and kidney-shaped countertops that are bursts of creative design floating in the middle of the kitchen.
- Color – No longer is color uniform throughout the kitchen. Cabinets may be French vanilla and islands can stand out in barnyard red, ebony black and emerald green, not to mention all of the beautiful wood stain colors.
- Design – Going with a transitional kitchen but love an Asian influence? How about styling your island with bamboo wood and frosted glass inserts? The sky’s the limit and your vision can go in any direction.
- Materials – Again, be as dramatic as you choose when it comes to the materials of your island. The materials of the cabinets, countertops and even hardware can be juxtaposed or complementary to your kitchen cabinetry.
One last tip – discuss your vision with your Schrapper’s Fine Cabinetry and Design representative. They want to build the kitchen of your dreams for you!