January 20, 2014
Kitchens, long thought to be the domain of the queen bee aka housewife or homemaker, have been steadily evolving – becoming the ultra chic spaces and even more impressive hubs of modern homes.
The individual components such as: countertops, cabinetry, appliances and lighting are no longer a one-size-fits-all. It’s a "Starbucks" mentality as you go to the drawing board with your designer and start making choices you never knew were available. You may discover that coffee is one of the areas where choices abound. Do you go Keurig or Cuisinart; Miele, Illy or Technivorm? Are you drawn to Delonghi or go overboard for Breville? Are you crazy for Capresso? Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Kitchen Components: A Quick Overview
You needn’t be overwhelmed with the number of components or choices. Here is a quick go-to list that your Schrapper’s designer will review with you in detail:
- Appliances. Again, choices are abundant when you consider make, model, color, size, etc. Appliance manufacturers are pushing the envelope in functionality and design.
- Cabinetry. There has never been a wider selection of finishes, woods and other materials. It’s a dream come true!
- Countertops. Selections include: cement, copper, glass, granite, manmade materials, marble, laminate, slate and zinc – to name a few!
- Flooring. The ever-evolving tile is available in more sizes, shapes and designs than ever seen before. But there’s also wood, laminate and numerous other types to intrigue you. We’re seeing cork and bamboo in the kitchen!
- Lighting. From an ultra brilliant room to an intimate dining experience, light fixtures are transforming the kitchen much as a chameleon changes color. LED lights are becoming more and more popular.
Coffee Centers Are Only a Part of the Picture
This is not meant to intimidate you as you sit (sipping coffee) and making selection after selection with your kitchen designer. Guiding homeowners for over 30 years, Schrapper’s Fine Cabinetry and Design has combined the science of understanding the strategic components and their function in the kitchen with the artistry of creative flair and design. It appears seamless and it is. It’s about knowing what’s going on in the industry, second to understanding what you, our clients, want.