8 Steps to A Kitchen Remodel in Hobe Sound
You live in the spectacular Hobe Sound, FL. And you have decided that it is time to remodel your old kitchen befitting this lifestyle. Where do you start? Follow this step-by-step guide suggested by Schrapper’s Fine Cabinetry & Design, Inc. to ease you along the process.
1. Make A Wishlist
The remodel is all about you, your family’s lifestyle and finding a kitchen layout that will suit everyone. Consider the following:
- How do you use your kitchen?
- What can be changed to make it more functional (perhaps more storage space or a breakfast bar where the kids can do their homework while you make dinner?)?
- How many people will be cooking and gathering here?
- How will they need to move around in it?
- Is the space enough or will you need an addition?
- Are you simply replacing old cabinetry or are you remodeling the entire kitchen space?
2. Create a Budget
After finalizing (well, sort of) your wishlist, it is time to figure out your preliminary budget. Create a priority list:
- What do you absolutely have to have?
- What would be nice-to-haves, but that you could do without?
- What are you willing to compromise to meet your budget?
If possible, find out what the average kitchen remodeling job costs in your area. Then, for good measure, add another 10% on top of that. It is very likely that unforeseen expenses will crop up during the remodel – this will add a buffer for those expenses.
3. Call in The Pros
Choosing the right contractor is vital:
- You will have a better chance at staying on your budget and on a timetable;
- They know which construction documents/permits are needed and which building codes and regulations must be followed,
- They will advise you on choosing finishes and fixtures,
- If you are staying in your home during the remodel, they will help you set up a temporary kitchen, and
- They will manage your project from start to finish.
It should be obvious that the contractor you hire is one that you can trust and feel comfortable with. After all, they are going to be in your home daily during the entire process.
4. Get Legal
Draw up a contract that outlines the scope of the work and establishes a payment schedule. Never pay the entire fee be paid upfront. The normal payment schedule provides 10% upfront, 25% at three-stage intervals throughout the project, and the last 15% upon project completion.
5. Sketch It Out
This phase includes sketches, space planning and preliminary floor plans showing the layout and cabinet sizes. Be careful though that you don’t get caught up in the “look” too early – this may distract you from the space planning phase.
6. Discover Your Options
The final selection of finishes and fixtures usually includes:
- Cabinetry construction and type, style, finish and color
- Countertop material
- Kitchen sink and faucet
- Light fixtures
- Decorative hardware
7. Get Ready for Demolition Day
Before the remodel can begin, your current kitchen must be prepared:
- Clean out the cabinets,
- Put what you don’t need in storage,
- If you’re staying in the house during construction, set up a temporary kitchen,
- Consider moving furniture or other things from adjacent rooms that may be affected by the kitchen remodel.
8. Survive the Dreaded Punch List
Be realistic – no remodel will go perfectly smooth. There’s always an annoying little list of items that are missing, wrong, damaged or not working. Review your list with your contractor. Together you will determine who is responsible for the final adjustments.
A kitchen remodel is a costly project that should not be undertaken lightly. However, it will add lasting value to the value of your home in Hobe Sound. Choose a contractor who is honest, reliable and one who shares your vision – Schrapper’s Fine Cabinetry and Design, Inc. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.